6C Pulmonary Internal Medicine Unit:
6C is a 32-bed unit that provides 24-hour nursing care to adult patients.
It is the home floor for Pulmonary and Internal Medicine.
Total patient care is utilized as 6Cs nursing care delivery system.
Within this system, RNs assume the role of Patient Care Coordinator responsible for planning patient care from admission to discharge.
Types of patients treated on 6C include pulmonary patients present with compromise of the cardiopulmonary system.
Many of the patient population on 6C are transferred to this unit from the adjacent Critical Care Medicine Unit.
These patients can often be a challenge to your nursing skills in the areas of assessment and clinical intervention.
Pulmonary Medicine patients are typically admitted with problems such as asthma, Wegners granuloma, COPD, pleural effusion, pulmonary embolus, pneumothorax, pneumonia, sarcoidosis and cystic fibrosis.
Internal medicine patients are admitted with a variety of diseases.
Our patient ages range from adults to the elderly.
Typical patients present with diabetes, renal failure, liver disease, HTN and CHF.
6C offers 8 and 12 hour shifts, a variety of shift rotations, comprehensive orientation, career development and the opportunity to work with a diverse patient population.
If you have a passion for nursing, 6C is where you want to be.
- Provide safe and effective nursing care as assigned to a varied patient population.
- Participate as a member of the collaborative health team.
- Work closely with patients/family members.
- Coordinate nursing care to patients through utilization of the nursing process.
- Provide nursing consultation both inter/intra departmentally.
- Resource nursing staff on unit policies, procedures, practices and patient care equipment.
- Act as a preceptor and role model to nursing staff.
- Coordinate and participate in health team activities.
- Perform within the charge nurse role. Participate on nursing committees.
- Participation in clinical leadership, i.e., unit policies/procedures, QI.
- Participates/leads in a specific area of focus.
Current Michigan RN License.
Graduate Nurse applicants will be considered.
* GN applicant must have successfully passed N-CLEX (in the State of MI) to be considered for this position.
NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- One or more years of experience at the University of Michigan Hospital.
- Demonstrates accountability/dependability as evidenced by completion of mandatories and unit based competencies within an established time frame.
- Demonstrates expertise in communication and problem solving skills within all levels of the health care team, as evidenced by interviews, documentation, writing skills, and references.
- Demonstrates leadership skills as evidenced by preceptor and charge nurse experience.
- Ability to work in a team atmosphere utilizing effective delegation skills.
- Knowledge of the University of Michigan Hospital nursing policies and practice.
- Demonstrates participation in continuous quality improvement process with documented results.
- Takes initiative in seeking professional growth.
- Computer skills: proficient in Microsoft Office and Groupwise.
Nursing Specific Info
Salary & Nursing Framework Level:
This UMPNC RN posting is posted as Nursing Framework LEVEL C.
Actual Nursing Framework LEVEL and salary will be determined at time of hire.
Nursing Framework levels range from Level A to Level E.
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position. Posting may be filled after the initial 5-day posting period.
Applicants who have left the UMPNC bargaining unit must include on their resume dates of past employment including months and years of service along with effort.
Positions less than 20 hours/week may be combined.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
Hrs/Week: 24 hrs per week
Shift/Hrs: Evening shift; 8 & 12 hour shifts; Monday - Friday, rotating weekends
Location: University Hospital- 6C, Pulmonary Unit
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U-M Professional Nurse Council union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.