The Labor Relations Officer is accountable for providing guidance, direction, and support to the client groups in the correct application and interpretation of the collective bargaining agreements in their portfolio of work -- including subject matter expertise and other support during main table and local negotiations, negotiating agreement modifications to enable implementation of client driven change initiatives, researching and responding to grievances, handling the RLA mandatory on property conferences and writing and presenting arbitration briefs as required; providing day-to-day guidance on the proper interpretation and application of the collective agreements; designing and providing training to clients on agreements, disciplinary process, labor protection and handling issues related to unionized employee performance.
Accountabilities include, but are not limited to:
• Day to day client support consisting of:
o direction and guidance on the proper application and interpretation of the labor contracts in a given situation;
o guidance on the handling of unionized employee performance issues under CP policies, CBAs, and US arbitral precedent;
o advice and counsel on recruitment and labor downsizing issues;
o advice and counsel on the most efficacious handling of complex labor issues
o advice and counsel on handling of complex medical fitness or qualification issues.
• Researching, responding to and handling claims, grievances and discipline appealed to LR consistent with mandates of CBA, LR metrics, CP’s core values with a focus on best ensuring outcomes aligned with CP’s safety, productivity, service, and people and growth goals and strategies.
• Supporting the negotiation of main table collective bargaining agreements, and, as authorized, negotiating local or special agreements within set performance metrics.
• Providing support and counsel to the US HR team in the handling of formal and informal employee complaints of unfair and/or illegal harassment or discrimination.
• Accountable for establishing and managing ongoing constructive working relationships with the union leads to facilitate the accomplishment of CP’s business strategy and objectives.
• Accountable for establishing constructive working relationships with clients to facilitate deep knowledge of business needs, concerns, challenges/opportunities to most effectively achieve their business strategy.
• Accountable for quantitative analysis and development of material to support change initiatives, to support strategy at bargaining tables, and to fully assess and resolve complex labor issues and change initiatives.
Knowledge and Technical Skills Preferred:
• Knowledge of company operations particularly Field Operations, Transportation, Engineering and Mechanical Services.
• In depth knowledge of relevant US Railway Labor Act requirements.
• CP and relevant business units strategic orientation, goals and requirements.
• A&A (organization design) framework, principles, and managerial leadership practices.
• Strong quantitative and analytical skills.
• Business acumen and the ability to apply business knowledge and translate business requirements to strategy planning and implementation
• Capability to provide and monitor the education and training of line managers in skill and knowledge areas critical to day to day contract administration and continually improve CP capability in this regard.
• Influencing and negotiations skills - both with management stakeholder and with the company's unions.
• Ability to exhibit exceptional patience, balance with strong, proactive approach to get things done and continuous improvement of CP core principles.
• Managerial leadership skills including team management skills
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively cross functionally
Additional Information: To be considered for internal job transfer, all applicants must meet the following criteria:
• No formal discipline within last 24 months worked.
• Maintained a proven safety record within the last 24 months of work.
• Employees may apply for the position provided they have held their current position for a minimum period of one year.
CP Is An Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.