The main mission of the Trade Marketing Manager at Jackson Family Wines is to support the brand marketing team in meeting the diverse needs of the sales force while providing insightful, field-tested feedback on marketing programs and initiatives across the on/off-premise channels and their respective sub-channels.
Develop the Trade Marketing Strategy (40%)
• Develop and establish the foundation of the trade marketing strategy to achieve defined business objectives key strategic brands; partnering with sales & marketing to establish and maintain the annual sales focus calendar
• Secure alignment across the sales and marketing organizations on field sales needs and marketing initiatives to deliver the most effective trade investment for the allocated dollars
• Partner with Brand Marketing and Communications to develop clear market objectives and strategies for various brands and provide one “accountable” person/team to ensure the correct materials are developed and delivered on-time and are aligned with the budget controls of Jackson Family Wines
• Develop trade promotional plans and concepts for key customers and focus markets, ensuring that all promotional activities which are implemented are in line with the agreed marketing plans and guidelines.
• Align with sales to ensure coordination of marketing plans and effective execution in line with budget and brand guidelines.
• Establish an ROI model for in-market programs
Tactical Sales Activation (60%)
• Foster a cohesive, professional and collaborative relationships with Brand Marketing and Communications and Sales teams; prompt follow up with #1 customer (sales) on various daily requests
• Provide insightful market analysis (IRI, GBI, etc.) to recognize marketplace opportunities
• Management of customer exclusive wine programs.
• Craft sub-channel specific presentations for key account customers
• Regional marketing support
• Create and manage wearables programs
• Conduct market surveys to secure program efficacy and define market opportunities
• Interaction with key customer marketing teams for specialized programming
• Creation of tactical POS including racks, coupons, mass displays, etc.
• Big bottle allocation management and pricing
• POS allocation management by market
• Coupon development, redemption tracking, allocations, etc.
• Maintain Field Activation Budgets (PIF’s) - tracking, budgeting and ROI analysis as well as reporting back to Marketing
• Provide weekly communication with sales regarding program elements, delivery dates, key out of stocks, etc.
• Manage content and experience for the Sales/Trade online platform (MFWSales.com) information
• Sales-driven event coordination
• Development of travel itineraries and winemaker visits
• Planning and execution of incentive programs and education trips
• Pulling and shipping wine samples including sales requests and mfwsales.com orders
Pre-requisite Core Competencies
• Strong drive for results
• High sense of urgency
• Ability to deal with ambiguity
• Strong communication skills
• Basic presentation development and delivery skills
• Ability to work well among different teams
• Experience with different types of brand building activities: point of sale items, events, incentives, etc.
• Understanding of budget tracking metrics and ROI calculation to evaluate marketing effectiveness
• Strong project management and the ability to make decisions independently
• Strong Analytics/Analyses to include ROI reporting
• Time management & prioritization
• Vendor management
• Strong understanding of the 3-tiered distribution system
• Ability to interpret market data (IRI, internal sales, demographics, consumer attitudes, usage occasions) recognizing marketplace opportunities
• Familiarity with cost/benefit analysis; financial aptitude
• Basic program understanding (Office Suite e.g. PowerPoint, Excel, Word)
• 5-10 years experience in wine/spirits marketing and/or sales with significant exposure to brand building activity.
• Must be able to manage multiple initiatives and programs concurrently and have a strong understanding of wines and spirits in multiple trade channels.
• Previous work experience in sales, business development or experience in the selling environment preferred.
• College degree (marketing or related field preferred)
• Previous business administration or related experience
• Basic wine knowledge and/or appreciation