We are seeking positive role models who are hard working, creative, team oriented, and enthusiastic. All individuals applying need a sense of responsibility and understanding of the dynamics of 24 hour child care as well as organizational skills necessary to meet scheduled activities with maximum enthusiasm and energy.
Our staff must have finished a year of college or be at least 19 years old, eligible to work in the United States, and be available for the season. We do require a background check for all our staff. We will work with any university for credit for internships or field work.
Housing is in a dorm room at the University. Staff are responsible for 8 - 10 campers on their hall.
Days are spent interacting with and supervising campers. Counselors not coaching a sport or activity are assisting with various duties around the camp (event planning and organizing, office work). Late afternoon and evenings involve participation, supervision, and leadership in planned activities and sports.
The weekends at camp are relaxed with staff either supervising campers on trips, getting the dorms ready for the next week, or off duty.
ALL OF OUR POSITIONS EXIST to provide a high quality, caring, and enthusiastic camp experience to children ranging in age from 10-18, as well as 24 hour supervision for our campers, and a high level of sensitivity to camper's needs.
IMPORTANT OUTCOMES OF EACH OF THESE POSITIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- Campers leave camp feeling that they have had an incredibly fun learning experience, have made lots of new friends, and have encountered staff who are involved and active in their activities.
- Campers feel they are # 1 in the counselor's and camp's priorities.
- Parents feel that their children have been properly supervised in a safe environment by mature, responsible, and active staff members.
- Camper and/or parent questions / problems are handled promptly and with the desire to turn a potentially negative experience into a positive one.
- The University, local community, and 4 Star are treated respectfully by campers and counselors.
GENERAL DAILY DUTIES FOR ALL POSITIONS INCLUDE:
- Following camp rules and regulations concerning smoking, use of alcoholic beverages, use of drugs.
- Enforcing all camp rules and guidelines plus ensuring camper safety during their stay at camp.
- Being actively involved with and supervising campers throughout the day and in the evenings when on-duty.
- Setting a good example for campers and others including cleanliness, punctuality, sharing clean-up and chores, and sportsmanship.
- Responsible for cleanliness of assigned dorm rooms.
- Reporting dorm damages to the Head RA and injuries to the Health & Safety Coordinator.
- Providing opportunities for interaction between campers and staff and for discussion of individual or group problems/concerns.
- Attending all team meetings and knowing/following the job duties as described in the staff manual.
- Work/time off schedule/duties could change.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR ALL POSITIONS INCLUDE:
- Good character, integrity, and adaptability.
- Ability to relate to one's peer group. Ability to accept supervision and guidance.
- Enthusiasm, energy, sense of humor, patience, and self-control. Desire and ability to work with children and be a part of a great team.