JOB SUMMARY |
The Casual Dockworker will safely and efficiently load and unload freight into and off of trucks and trailers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Comply with all Company policies, local work and safety rules and federal, state and local regulations that govern the industry.
- Follow company procedures for properly and safely loading and unloading freight. Safely operate a forklift to load and unload freight.
- Maintain a safe work environment by cleaning and removing debris from work area; place dunnage and empty skids in proper location; keep aisles clear and observe forklift safety regulations.
- Select and use proper tools as necessary to load and unload freight.
- Prepare, inspect, and clean trailer(s) before loading freight.
- Count all pieces of freight in loading and unloading.
- Plan cube utilization and proper weight distribution when loading freight.
- Review freight bills for special instructions. Check manifests for existing exceptions. Check the label and the destination code on manifests against freight bills.
- When loading freight check for special instructions, weight distributions on headloads and check headloads against the freight bills.
- Inspect condition of freight and notify supervisors of any damaged freight.
- Unload long and unusual freight and deliver the freight to a stack area; load long and unusual freight into trailers using proper tools.
- Remove loose cartons before unloading freight and remove blocking and dunnage while unloading freight.
- Dock skids of freight indesignated bay areas.
- Attend preshift and safety meetings.
- Participate in training programs; maintain and update safety skills and knowledge; keep current with hazardous material training requirements.
- Perform duties in a manner that promotes superior customer service and professionalism within the Company and the industry
- Adaptability - Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment (e.g., people, processes, structure, or culture); adjusting effectively to change by exploring the benefits, trying new approaches, and collaborating with others to make the change successful.
- Building Trusting Relationships - Using appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interacting with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
- Collaborating - Working cooperatively with others to help a team or work group achieve its goals.
- Communication - Conveying information and ideas clearly and concisely to individuals or groups in an engaging manner that help them understand and retain the message; listening actively to others.
- Continuous Learning - Actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
- Initiating Action - Taking prompt action to accomplish work goals; taking action to achieve results beyond what is required; being proactive.
- Work Standards - Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS * *
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be able to read, write and converse in English.
- Ability to record applicable freight information on bill of lading and match information on freight bill with description on bill of lading.
- Must be able to follow posted safety rules and safe operating procedures to insure proper techniques, such as lifting, are performed in the manner as which is described.
- Experience operating a forklift.
- Ability to work various shifts and days of the week.
WORKING CONDITIONS * *
- Experience in a warehouse or transportation industry.
Environmental working conditions vary and employee may encounter vibration, noise, odors, and extremes in temperature and wind as well as exposure to varied weather, varied surfaces, sharp edges, varied lighting and confined and congested areas and occasionally exposure to petroleum-based products such as gasoline, diesel fuel, oil, and grease.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS * *
The position requires the ability to sit, stand, walk, and maintain balance for extensive periods of time. The ability to frequently lift up to 55 lbs from floor to above shoulder and horizontally, and carry objects up to 100 feet. Occasionally lift up to 70 lbs. Seldomly lift up to 100 lbs. Ability to push/pull up to 128 lbs for extensive periods of time. Ability to perform repetitive tasks; stretch, turn, twist, and reach overhead; bend, crouch, squat, kneel and stoop for extensive periods of time. The ability to operate forklift, dolly, hand truck, pallet truck, carts, and other equipment is necessary for loading and unloading freight.
YRC Worldwide is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Minorities/Females/Persons with Disabilities/Protected Veterans