Sr. Event Manager - Contract Maternity - 1 Year
Vacancy has expiredShow me jobs like this one
|Employer:|| Marriott International|
Hotel / Resort / Lodging
|Job Type:||Full Time|
|Post Date:||01/08/2013 04:20 PM|
This is a contract position for 1 year - on Contract for Maternity coverage. You must have a Canadian Work Visa to applyJOB SUMMARY |
Manages event planning functions and staff on a daily basis. Core area of responsibility is the event planning team, including the Event Managers, Event Coordinator and Group Coordinators. Position oversees the administrative processes associated with the pre-event and post-event phases of an event and the associated transitions between all event phases. Ensures a seamless turnover from sales to operations and back to sales while consistently delivering a high level of service. Ensures the team maximizes revenue opportunities by up-selling and accurately forecasting (catering and group rooms) all events. The position is responsible for achieving guest and associate satisfaction and for managing the financial performance of the department
Education and Experience
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Event Planning Operations
• Assigns all events turned over to Event Planning team.
• Oversees for turned opportunities' function space and group room blocks.
• Communicates and executes departmental and property emergency procedures and ensures staff are trained in safety procedures.
• Leads execution of activities to support the Event Management strategy.
• Works with direct reports to review scheduled events and troubleshoot potential challenges/conflicts.
• Leads discussions to review event complexity and proactively avoid service challenges and failures.
• Ensures the property is apprised of all groups that will impact property operations.
• Manages customer budgets to maximize revenue and meet customer needs.
• Maintains inventories to maximize customer satisfaction and revenue opportunities.
• Works with highly complex or high profile groups when financial impact will be significant.
Leading Event Planning Team
• Leads the catering menu development process.
• Champions all standards, policies and procedures (e.g., PPM, Core Deliverables, SOPs, LSOPs, etc.) for the Event Planning team.
• Leads Event Management meetings (e.g., BEO, daily coordination meeting, room block review, etc.).
Providing and Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
• Reviews comment cards, guest satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvement.
• Shares plans with property leadership and ensures corrective action is taken to continuously improve guest satisfaction.
• Displays leadership in guest hospitality, exemplifies excellent customer service and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
• Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels.
• Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
• Strives to improve service performance.
• Empowers associates to provide excellent customer service.
Managing the Sales and Marketing Strategy
• Develops working relationships with outside vendors and establishes prices and service agreements to enhance the event experience and to increase additional revenue opportunities for the property.
• Consult with customers in order to determine objectives and requirements for events such as meetings, conferences, and conventions.
Conducting Human Resources Activities
• Establishes customer service guidelines so associates understand expectations and parameters.
• Ensures associates receive on-going training to understand guest expectations.
• Observes service behaviors of associates and provides feedback to individuals and or managers .
• Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service and planning needs are met.
Professional Demeanor - Exhibiting behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; making a good first impression and representing Marriott in alignment with its values.
Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities; obtaining and comparing information from different sources to draw conclusions, develop and evaluate alternatives and solutions, solve problems, and choose a course of action.
Communication - Conveying information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods. Strong public presentation skills.
Adaptability - Maintaining performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
Planning and Organizing - Gathering information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizing and arranging work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
Driving for Results - Setting high standards of performance for self and/or others; assuming responsibility for work objectives; initiating, focusing, and monitoring the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively taking action and going beyond what is required
Building and Contributing to Teams - Leading and participating as a member of a team to move toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
Coworker Relationships - Interacting with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
Customer Relationships - Developing and sustaining relationships based on an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with Marriott's Spirit to Serve.
Fostering Inclusion - Supporting associates with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; leveraging personal differences to achieve objectives; and promoting a work environment where all associates are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
Talent Management - Providing guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Organizational Capability - Evaluating and adapting the structure of organizational units, jobs, and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
Learning and Applying Personal Expertise
Applied Learning - Seeking and making the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
Technical Acumen - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
Event Planning - The ability to connect with customers, detail events, upsell products and services, manage multiple customers at a given time, be detailed orientated, understand and have a working knowledge of catering and event management systems.
Food Production and Presentation - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for preparing and presenting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques and sanitation standards. Willingness to adhere to internal company standards.
General Event Management - The ability to have a working knowledge, understanding of polices, procedures and standards of the event management department to include, event planning, event operations and event technology for different types of events.
Banquets - Have a working knowledge of service standards, procedures and techniques for executing banquet event orders to include banquet /meeting room set up and strike, banquet design, and banquet beverage set-up and controls.
Event Services - Have a working knowledge of standards and procedures for proper meeting room and table set-ups, various meeting room and table configurations and the set-up of staging and dance flooring.
Business Acumen - Understanding and utilizing business information (e.g., data used in the Marriott Balanced Scorecard related to Associate Engagement, Guest Satisfaction, and Property Financial Performance) to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges
Applied Business Knowledge - Evaluates market conditions, organizational objectives, and important aspects of the business to accurately diagnose market opportunities and threats; anticipates opportunities and threats, identify issues, and develop strategies and plans. Aligning individual and team actions with strategies and plans to drive business results.
Management of Capital Resources - Determines the appropriate allocation of money used to accomplish work goals, and submits expenses according to guidelines; appropriately utilizes and maintains equipment, facilities, and materials needed to perform work activities.
Administration and Management - Understands and applies the business and management information involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership techniques, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
Advanced Computer Skills - Using advanced computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
Mathematical Reasoning - The ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture.